Friday, February 17, 2006

A Life of Compassion, Dedication, & Love - His Holiness Bhakti Tirtha Swami

About a year ago my pop had a CD/mp3 player installed in my car. Thanks to the generosity of dear-old-Dad I can listen to lectures, bhajans, whatever without having to change the disc for days. For the past week or so I have been listening to "the longest Sunday Feast lecture in the history of Radha-Gopinath temple". It takes up five full-length mp3 files - five-plus hours of Radhanatha Swami glorifying the pastimes of His Holiness Bhakti Tirtha Maharaja.

I had heard many of the stories before, but certainly didn't mind hearing them again. Radhanatha Maharaja's account of Bhakti Tirtha Swami's last days on this planet were particularly sweet - or should I say bittersweet? It made me feel some measure of gratitude for the times I was able to have Maharaja's darshan - NYC Ratha-Yatra 2003, Gita-Nagari Samskara Festival 2004, Maharaja's Maha Vyasa-Puja 2005, and Narasimha Caturdasi of the same year. I can remember specific interactions with Maharaja on each of these occasions that inspired me in spiritual life, infused with his very unique (and potent) bhakti-rasa.

Bhakti Tirtha Swami ki Jaya!

You can listen to the lecture(s) here, or download them from www.radhagopinath.com. I also suggest the feature article in the most recent issue of BTG, and this article from the Princeton Alumni Weekly (where Bhakti Tirtha Swami earned his undergraduate degree in psychology).
Maharaja's godbrother Satyaraja Prabhu is working on a biography as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home